Re: [Bayonne-devel] New Server Features

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Bayonne-devel] New Server Features
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:20:02 -0400

As only a few people have seen or tried to work with the new server, and since you asked, I thought I would comment on its key architectural features:

First, no, it is not directly based on any prior or existing Bayonne code, whether in stable or testing snapshots. It is all new code with a short history over a number of weekends inclusive to this year. It is also radically feature reduced, but does use some key Bayonne architectural concepts.

The use of locks and blocking have been redone to assure maximum SMP performance. In fact, many operations where excessive recursive mutex locks were once used are now performed either lock free or with minimal locking.

The server uses a single timeslot table, and can allow for multiple drivers to to be mapped together in a peer fashion.

Ports from arbitrary drivers can peer audio, queue and disperse signaling directly. In fact all normal join operations are now outer peer audio operations. There are some drivers which will be unable to peer, either do to high latency, use of TDM, or poor vendor design.

The functionality needed to code a driver has been greatly simplified.

A new continues audio processing model is being worked on which will soon allow those drivers which will do continues audio to perform background music automatically, overlay audio, and other special effects. This will allow Bayonne to offer streaming audio (and video) services over the internet in the future as well. This is something I want to free some time to work further on, which is another reason I would like to do an early release to get more people involved.

The scripting language has been greatly simplified, has an enforced at compile time specification, and consistent use of symbol scope. It also has been tuned for better execution performance.

The entire driver infrastructure and Bayonne state machine system presents itself as a linkable library which can be used to rapidly build other kinds of telephony servers.

Drivers that currently do work include SIP (with a proxy server), the voicetronix analog card family, the soundcard driver for testing, and openh323. Curiously the openh323 driver works well with gnomemeeting but freezes with ohphone because something internal to openh323 refuses to give up a mutex lock. The dialogic driver is nearly fully coded but not yet demonstratably functioning.

Target platforms that function today include GNU/Linux, MacOSX, and FreeBSD. Other BSD varients should work also. There is active w32 development, and something generally functional beyond the link libraries there will not be very far off.

The biggest problem with building Bayonne SIP is that you need to use CVS versions of osip and exosip though the install guide explains this well. The biggest problem with openh323 is it seems fussy about compiling with older releases, particularly on older distros.

I suppose overall there could be worse 0.1.0 releases, if I do an early release at this point...

Ambar Roy wrote:
I looking for opinions on whether it would be better to do an early release of the new server so that more people can effectivily begin to work on it, or to wait until it is more complete.

Hi David,

I think that making a release would get more people to work on it. BTW what
is the status with the new server? Are you starting with a new
codebase/architecture or are you building upon the existing codebase? In
what ways is the new release going to be different from the current
development snapshot or the current stable release?

Regards,

Ambar Roy