Re: [bug #61169] Bad EEPROM read on mega2560 R3 Arduino board

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [bug #61169] Bad EEPROM read on mega2560 R3 Arduino board
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:23:10 +0100

Hi,

I have a mega2560 R3 arduino board. I created a simple sketch from the Arduino
IDE from file->Examples->EEPROM->eeprom_clear and then modified it to write
0x00112233445566778899aabbccddeeff repeating to the eeprom memory. After
writing out these values and then using avrdude to read them back I get
0x00112233445566770011223344556677 instead. I have a custom programmer that
read back the expected values correctly.

The avrdude command I am using for reading out the eeprom is:
avrdude -p atmega2560 -c wiring -P COM4 -b115200 -U eeprom:r:dump.bin

I had a similar problem reading/writing from/to a Mega2560 R3 Arduino board with a JTAG3ICE in ISP mode. I managed to read the fuses, flash and eeprom but couldn't write them reliably.

I managed to flash the arduino bootloader reliably and then flashed the rest using that.

The ISP was also very slow, taking ~20 minutes to read or write the image from/to flash (which was > 200KiB large).

I'm not sure if there is a problem with these boards. My searching was inconclusive as not many people seem to post about using the ISP header and lots of people who have this problem solved it by reflashing the bootloader.

I tried powering it through the power jack rather than the USB port but that didn't seem to help.

How long do your EEPROM reads and writes take?

Best wishes,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@ashurst.eu.org