Re: New Progger Howto?

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: New Progger Howto?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 19:18:17 +0100

Hi,

I would like to add a new programmer device to AVRdude. Specifically I would like to add support for the USB-UART as UPDI programmer hack using just a 1k resistor between TX and RX.

I would welcome this!

I tried to add support for UPDI to USBasp a few months ago but ran into some hardware limitations with the timing. In the end I had to find a Windows PC to update the firmware on my JTAGICE3 so that it could do UPDI.

It would have been far more useful for both me and my collaborator (who doesn't have a JTAGICE3) to have been able to use the USB-UART solution without resorting to other tools.

Is there any important documentation I should read first?

What do I have to do later on to get the patch accepted into the official sources?

I am not associated with the project so unfortunately cannot help here!

However, I'm happy to test patches as you have them.

Best wishes,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@ashurst.eu.org