Re: [avrdude-dev] programming XMega D3 boot section

From: David Zanetti
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] programming XMega D3 boot section
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:25:03 +1200

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 16:40 +0200, Ralf Glaser, track IT wrote:
> i'm trying to program the boot section of an ATXMega128D3 and it doesn't
> seem to work.

XMEGA support does seem to be quite broken for flash sections on
released versions. I've had less problems with r1090 from SVN (and
probably newer SVN versions are okay as well). In particular, it honors
page-by-page erase so you don't need to do a chip erase and your
bootloader doesn't disappear, and it honors the "application" space
which is good because doing anything to "flash" erases the boot section
as well it appears.

For a board I have using a 192D3 (slightly larger flash version of the
same chip) I can do the following and retain the bootloader:

avrdude -p x192d3 -c avrisp2 -P usb -U application:w:target.hex

I'm using Xboot ( http://code.google.com/p/avr-xboot/ ) and it flashes
the bootloader to the "boot" section but does so with an image which
assumes you're using "boot" as a section (ie, 0 is start of boot, not
start of flash/application).

Works at least from SVN copies, anyway!

--
David Zanetti <address@hidden>