[avrdude-dev] [bug #35590] avrdude make error when programming ATmega8 t

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #35590] avrdude make error when programming ATmega8 through USBasp
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:19:09 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #35590 (project avrdude):

Your second error is a usage error.  It's not AVRDUDE's duty to
perform the tilde expansion (using ~ as an abbreviation for $HOME),
this is the job of your shell.  However, the shell will only perform
tilde expansion if there is a white space in front of the tilde (or
the tilde is the very first character on the commandline).  Thus,
programming works through

avrdude ... -U ~/path/to/file

because there is a space in front of the tilde.

But reading back by

avrdude ... -U flash:r:~/path/to/file:i

does not work since the shell does not expand the tilde (and there
is no directory named "~/path/to/").

Programming through

avrdude ... -U~/path/to/file

or

avrdude ... -U flash:w:~/path/to/file

would not work either.

The solution is to explicitly write $HOME:

avrdude ... -U flash:r:$HOME/path/to/file:i

About your first problem, I need more debugging information as I don't
have an USBasp programmer handy to test myself.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35590>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/