[avrdude-dev] [patch #6199] Configurable USB VID, PID, manufacturer stri

From: anonymous
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #6199] Configurable USB VID, PID, manufacturer string and product string via avrdude.conf
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:36:24 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hello avrdude developers,

this entry adds configurable USB VID/PID support for any USB programmer
device for avrdude. Currently I made the usbasp module only make use of this
configuration option.

History and background information for this change/addon:
Till Harbaum created the so named xu1541 device, an AVR based controller to
connect the Commodore IEC serial bus to USB. Later he added Thomas Fischl's
AVRUSBBoot, so that the basic firmware can easily be updated.
That development became a subproject of OpenCBM, a more generic framework to
connect computers to the IEC bus. Spiro Trikaliotis, its head developer, made
some interesting improvements to this project in the past months.
He converted Fischl's bootloader into some sort of µC USB BIOS which allows
all the USB functionality be reused by the core firmware. Thus, bootloader as
well as firmware do use the same software USB stack and both, firmware as well
as bootloader can be updated in system.
Based on that work I took Thomas Fischl's USBasp and ``ported´´ that one to
the xu1541 hardware and Spiro's BIOS.

Since the xu1541 BIOS comes with its own USB VID/PID pair and
manufacturer/product strings, I had to add special support to avrdude. After
hacking around a bit (selecting VID/PID upon the ``id´´ string) I decided
for a crystal clean implementation and added the configurable VID/PID
support.

I decided against implementing configurable Version-ID (number as well as
string) support, because this would mean to also implement some sort of range
setting, when a decent avrdude.conf setting should match. At least I don't see
any use of this currently.

Note: I will follow possible discussions of this entry via the mailing list
archives, but if you need my attention, please put me into the CC.

I would be glad to see my patch added to the next avrdude version, thanks in
advance,

Wolfgang Moser

File Attachments:

Date: Donnerstag 13.09.2007 um 22:36 UTC  Name:
avrdude_usbVidPid_support.diff  Size: 7kB   By: None

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=13937>

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6199>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/