Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude with stk500boot...

From: Neil Davey
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude with stk500boot...
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:20:23 +1000

   Joerg Wunsch wrote:

As Neil Davey wrote:

Reading |                                                    | 0%
0.00savrdude:
Send: . [1b] . [08] . [00] . [08] . [0e] . [1d] . [04] . [04] . [00] 0
[30] . [0
0] . [00] . [00] 8 [38]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_cmd(): failed to send command

Too bad the Win32 build of avrdude doesn't display the response bytes.
However, my guess as that this bootloader simply doesn't implement the
CMD_SPI_MULTI command (SPI passthrough).  Due to the history of how
avrdude's STK500 support has been developed, this command is used
quite a lot in avrdude, but probably not at all by Atmel's stk500.exe
command.

It could/should be possible to convert most if not all of avrdude's
stk500v2 protocol handling to native commands instead, but someone has
to do it.

As an alternative, you might have a look at Matthias Weißer's USBisp
device.  It also contains a bootloader that talks enough of the STK500
(v1) protocol to bootstrap the device.

   Ahh..  ok..  so  avrdude  needs  CMD_SPI_MULTI,  there  is  define  to
   include/exclude this command..
   The docs indicated to remove this for avrdude, but I'll include it and see
   if that makes it work...
   Thanks Joerg..
   Regards
   Neil Davey
--
--------------------------------------
Neil Davey

Centre for Wireless Monitoring and Applications
Griffith School of Engineering
Nathan Campus
Phone: 07-3735-7008
Fax: 07-3735-5112