Re: [avrdude-dev] minor updates for AUTHORS and configure.ac

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] minor updates for AUTHORS and configure.ac
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:22:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, E. Weddington wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2004 at 15:38, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
>
> > configure.ac:
> >   It seems to me that if you are building for cygwin, then it doesn't
> >   make sense to use the native calls and to pass -mno-cygwin.
>
> It gets complicated for sure. We have to differentiate between
> separate things.
>
> One can use the Cygwin environment (shell and programs) to build the
> application. The application can be built in two separate ways:
>
> 1. One can "build for Cygwin", which implies that the resulting
> application is linked to Cygwin DLLs.

This implies that $build == $host == '*-cygwin*'

> 2. One can "build for MinGW", which implies that the resulting
> application is NOT linked to Cygwin DLLs and is completely a native
> Win32 application. *Even though* we're using the Cygwin environment to
> build it.

This implies $build == '*-cygwin*' and $host == '*-mingw32*', which is
technically a cross compile then.

We should not even be using $target in configure.ac. We should be using
$host instead. This was my mistake as I didn't quite understand the
semantics of those (which changed from earlier versions of
automake/autoconf).

> The -mno-cygwin flag is the standard way of switching over to the
> MinGW GCC compiler (that can come as a Cygwin package) and build and
> link the application as a Win32 application. This flag is required if
> we're going to be using the Win32 calls.

Again, this smells like a cross compile (as far as configure.ac is
concerned).

It should be up to the person doing the compiling if they wish wish to
use the cygwin dll's or the native windows API. If you using cygwin to
build for mingw32/native, you would then need to run configure giving
both the build and the host args:

  ./configure --build=cygwin --host=mingw32 ...

Although, I'm not positive as to exactly what values should be given for
--build and --host.

I assume that the -mno-cygwin is really only valid then if $build ==
'*-cygwin' and $host does not.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9