Re: [avrdude-dev] minor updates for AUTHORS and configure.ac

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] minor updates for AUTHORS and configure.ac
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:04:19 -0600

On 7 Jul 2004 at 15:38, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't want to commit the attached without some comments since it's
> not my area of experitise.
>
> AUTHORS:
>   Non-controversial, just need verification of email addresses.

Thanks for catching this. Mine has changed to:
ericw AT evcohs.com

> configure.ac:
>   It seems to me that if you are building for cygwin, then it doesn't
>   make sense to use the native calls and to pass -mno-cygwin.

It gets complicated for sure. We have to differentiate between separate things.

One can use the Cygwin environment (shell and programs) to build the
application. The application can be built in two separate ways:

1. One can "build for Cygwin", which implies that the resulting application is
linked to Cygwin DLLs.
2. One can "build for MinGW", which implies that the resulting application is
NOT linked to Cygwin DLLs and is completely a native Win32 application. *Even
though* we're using the Cygwin environment to build it.

The -mno-cygwin flag is the standard way of switching over to the MinGW GCC
compiler (that can come as a Cygwin package) and build and link the application
as a Win32 application. This flag is required if we're going to be using the
Win32 calls.

HTH
Eric