[avrdude-dev] MacOS X support

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] MacOS X support
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:11:34 -0400

Hi,

I've recently aquired a new Apple G5 system and have got most of the
the avr-gcc toolchain working on it including avrdude.  For avrdude in
particular, all I needed to do was to stub out the functions in
'ppi.c' with empty functions that simply return an error code since
the Mac's don't have a parallel port.  Not sure if this is the right
thing to do or not - for example, in theory one could add a PCI card
with a parallel port, though I have no idea if those "multiport" cards
are supported by MacOS.

Otherwise, everything compiled and seems to run just fine.  I did have
to updated the default 'automake' version but that was easy using
DarwinPorts, and won't be necessary for folks who downloaded the
released versions since the 'configure' script will already be
generated.

I'm testing with my STK500, but any serial port programmer should
work.  I am using a USB->RS232 adapter cable from Keyspan, model
USA-19HS.  This is a relatively inexpensive USB to RS232 adapter and
is accessed via a /dev name such as /dev/cu.USA19Hb2P1.1 which the
driver creates when you plug it in, i.e.:

        avrdude -p m128 -c stk500 -P /dev/cu.USA19Hb2P1.1

Below is my quick and dirty attached patch to make this compile and
run on MacOS X.  Do folks think this is too ugly to commit or will
this suffice until someone actually gets a real parallel port going on
a MacOS X machine and can flesh it out more appropriately?

Thanks!
-Brian