Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on MacOS X

From: John Butera
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on MacOS X
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:41:42 -0600

I'm trying to get avrdude working on MacOS X, using the Fink porting system (fink.sf.net). I've run into one compilation problem. Since MacOS X is neither BSD nor Linux, the #ifdef in ppi.c caused no ppi_* functions to be compiled. This of course causes a link error later on. I've gotten avrdude to compile for now by adding a #else clause with do-nothing stubs for the ppi_* functions, but I'd guess that is not the way to solve it long term. Seems like there probably should be a way to compile avrdude without support for parallel ports at all, on platforms where they don't exist. (You can physically have a parallel port on a Mac via a USB->parport dongle but as far as I know the OS provides no API to access them.)

I notice in the mailing list archives that there is interest in the whole toolchain on MacOS X. So far I've been able to create fink packages for binutils, gcc, gdb, avr-libc, and avrdude. I will probably do at least simulavr and avarice as well, and possibly uisp too. None of the compiled code has been tested yet, but based on past experience creating Fink packages for the Motorola 68HC11 GCC toolchain there's no reason it shouldn't work once it's compiled.

I'm not subscribed to the avrdude-dev list so please CC any replies to me.

I happened to stumble upon this thread a little while ago. Interesting, as I just finished making PackageMaker binary packages for the AVR toolchain; Binutils, GCC, AVR-Libc, UISP, AVRdude, GDB, and SimulAVR. Unfortunately, I have not been able to compile AVaRICE. I didn't spend too much time trying to compile it however, as I don't own a JTAG ICE. For AVRdude, I simply replaced ppi.c with empty ppi functions, as you did. It was a quick hack though. I didn't even use an #else, I just replaced the whole file with empty ppi functions.

It's too bad that I didn't see find this thread before making the packages.. If I had known you were making Fink packages, I wouldn't have spent so much time with my .pkg's. I would like to take a look at your Fink packages, and if anybody is interested in looking at my packages, let me know.

John