Re: [avrdude-dev] Autodetect programming interface

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Autodetect programming interface
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:34:22 +0100

As Colin O'Flynn wrote:

> Basically the code would work like this:
>
> If auto mode: get first programmer, try to read sig
> bytes from AVR. If this works, use this programmer.
> Otherwise get next programmer and try again.

I usually hate this kind of automatism if it is enabled by default.
Suppose you've got a programmer that is connected to the serial port
(like the STK500), and suppose you use the Windows version that
requires you to pass full port IO abilities to the application (using
the giveio driver).  Then, assume for a moment that the parallel port
programmers come first when probed, and you are currently printing
something...

If at all, it should be done as a separate option that is only there
to probe for the programmer, and to output the line for the
~/.avrduderc file (forgot how that's named under Windows), for those
who are unable to compose the single line

default_programmer = "stk500";

for that file manually...