[avrdude-dev] Autodetect programming interface

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Autodetect programming interface
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:03:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I had an idea for adding an 'auto' setting as one of
the programmers.

Basically the code would work like this:

If auto mode: get first programmer, try to read sig
bytes from AVR. If this works, use this programmer.
Otherwise get next programmer and try again.

As well it would be possible to store the programmer
that worked in an external file. Next time avrdude
runs on auto mode, it first tries the programmer that
worked last (I think most people will stick with the
same programmer most of the time, which is why this
would be handy), and if that fails it goes through
trying the rest of them.

Any merit in the idea? Either way I might try it, but
I'd be happy to share a patch if I get it working ;-)

   -Colin