Re: [avrdude-dev] config file change

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] config file change
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:19:14 -0500

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 11:11:13AM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> The avr910 needs a devicecode in the config file like the stk500 does.
> Sadly, the codes are not compatible.

Figures.

>  #   part
>  #       id               = <id> ;                 # quoted string
>  #       desc             = <description> ;        # quoted string
> -#       devicecode       = <num> ;                # numeric
> +#       stk500_devcode   = <num> ;                # numeric
> +#       avr910_devcode   = <num> ;                # numeric
>  #       chip_erase_delay = <num> ;                # micro-seconds

Such a change would be fine with me, I don't think backward
compatibility is a huge deal, since we replace the file at
installation/upgrade time anyway.

But ... and this may be crazy, so feel free to tell me so.

Since these appear to be programmer specific, what about listing the
device codes within programmer definition instead of the part
definition?  The format might be look something like this:

        devicecode = <part-id>, <devicecode>;

<part-id> would be the id string from the part, and <devicecode> the
numeric device code.  This would require a new linked list be included
within the programmer structure that contains some structure that
holds these values.

One advantage is that if more programmers are supported, and they need
to have their own device codes, too, we won't have to update the
grammar to support them.  The disadvantage is that it would be
slightly harder to locate the device code for a particular part, since
you'd have to loop through the device-code list for the programmer and
try and match the id string to the current part to find it.  Not a
huge deal, be harder than part->devicecode.

Just a thought ...

-Brian
--
Brian Dean