Re: [avrdude-dev] doc install

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] doc install
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:39:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, E. Weddington wrote:

:) On 5 Mar 2003 at 20:33, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)
:) > Hi,
:) >
:) > As things stand right now, no docs are in installed with 'make
:) > install' except for the man file. This is normal behaviour and I'm
:) > inclined to leave it that way. A package maintainer (redhat, debian,
:) > freebsd, etc) can figure out how to package up the docs without having
:) > to have them installed via make install.
:) >
:) > Installing them with 'make install' will require some more rules to be
:) > added. I can do it if there is a strong desire.
:) >
:) > What's the feeling here?
:)
:) I noticed that it didn't install the docs. I almost said something
:) but I realized as well that I can just as easily package up the docs
:) on my own. That and I didn't know what the standard operating
:) procedure (SOP) is on Unix with these kinds of docs.
:)
:) I think it would be *nice* to have the docs installed as well. I
:) certainly don't need to have anything like that anytime soon. I agree
:) with Jörg and have it as a low priority. I'll put it on the TODO
:) unless someone objects.
:)
:) If you want to have it installed with an enabled switch that's fine
:) too. My desired directory to put it in would be:
:) ${PREFIX}/doc/${PACKAGENAME}
:) which is different from what Jörg specified. Perhaps this would be
:) specified with a switch as well? I'll leave it to the implementor.

After I sent that email, I got to looking at it and just did it. It
makes the rpm install easier too.

I even added the --enable-versioned-doc configure switch ala avr-libc.

Eric, to get the behaviour you want, do this:

  ../configure --prefix=<foo> --datadir=<foo> --enable-versioned-doc=no

Then you will get the docs installed in :

  <foo>/doc/avrdude

BTW: ${datadir} defaults to "${prefix}/share".

Ted