Re: [avrdude-dev] first cut texinfo manual

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] first cut texinfo manual
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:57:49 -0500

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:26:46PM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I think it's OK to review it afterwards.
>
> I'd say "yes" to both other questions.  (Would have been nice to have
> a "src" subdir for all the stuff that's currently there, but that's
> quite a bit too late now i'm afraid.)

Agreed.  Too bad we can't use rsync to overwrite the repo files on
savannah, that way we could more easily do repo surgery without having
to bother the savannah admins, whom I'm sure are overworked and
underpaid :-) If we really wanted to restructure, one of us could
rsync the repo to our local system, then tar it up and ask the admins
to overwrite the existing repo with the new one provided.  They'd
probably be willing to do that as long as we weren't asking for that
kind of thing too often.

Anyway, the manual is committed.  I put myself as copyright, but I'm
not strongly tied to that.  I think we have to use someone - I don't
think a project name will work.  Also, I tried to give a brief
history, naming major contributors by name.  Most people who've
contributed are listed in the CHANGELOG for their contributions but I
thought it would be appropriate to list those who have been involved
in this transition effort directly in the manual.  If you all think
that is something better for the CHANGELOG, feel free to axe that.
I'm not sure how much of Radek's work that Eric used in the Window's
port - we should maybe list his name along side the rest.  I'm not
tied to naming names, its merely a suggestion and a starting point.
My opinion on giving credit is that the only payment people get for
contributing is the recognition, so we should give that freely.

My overall opinion of the manual is that nothing that is currently
there is set in stone - if others have ideas about better structuring
/ chapters, etc, feel free.

Regarding a few specifics ... I ran into line overruns when including
some sample program output.  I don't know how to avoid that.  Also,
the texinfo formatting seems straitforward enough, but this is the
first I've used it, so expect misuses of some of the formatting
controls and places where I should've used something else.  While I
started with Ted's texinfo document for simulavr which privide nice
examples for how to use texinfo for a manual like this, I did not even
try to keep the @node type info navigation controls.  First, I'm not
sure how it all ties together, and also I figured it would be
pointless until the document settles down a little bit, otherwise
there would be twice as much stuff to change as the structure evolved.

So anyway, there it is.  Its rough, but its a start.  Please feel free
to make wide sweeping changes :-)

-Brian
--
Brian Dean