Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #29774] prologue/epilogue sta

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #29774] prologue/epilogue stack pointer manipulation not interrupt safe in XMega
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:49:57 +0000

On Sunday 13 February 2011, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > > So here's what I have found so far. When executing SEI, one more
> > > instruction can execute before the first interrupt is serviced. When
> > > enabling interrupts by restoring the status register, interrupts can
> > > occur immediately. When writing to SPL, interrupts are automatically
> > > disabled until the next memory write (up to 4 cycles).
> > Interesting info!
> >
> > Can you provide the sources for that or did you test it yourself?
> > And do these statements hold for xmega en mega alike?
>
> The info about writing to SPL disabling interrupts is in the XMega A Manual
> (doc8077.pdf) at the bottom of section 3.8. Note that the interrupt
> architecture is NOT the same in the mega series.
Thanks. Yes i am aware of that. My question was releated to the difference
between SEI and writing the global interrupt flag by hand. Are xmega and
mega doing that in the same way?

> The test case is quite simple with a JTAGICE. Set up an interrupt that is
> always pending. The code will execute one opcode at a time between interrupts.
> A breakpoint can be set at the line in the disassembly that you want to test
> (such as restoring status register). Once at that point set a breakpoint
> inside the interrupt and at the line after the opcode being tested. Getting
> the interrupt first indicates that interrupts are not disabled.
Cool. Since i seldom debug (i trace) i did not thought of this.

After giving it just a little more thought it is quite simple to test
with tracing too. I think i will try that in the near future.
Better save than sorry :-)

Ruud.