Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATMEGA16U2 support

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATMEGA16U2 support
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:28:07 +0100

As Paul Rathgeb wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't found informations about the avr-libc support for
> this controller. ATMEGA16U4 seems supported, but I don't know if I can
> use this MCU type for the compilation.

ATmega16U2 is supported by avr-libc, provided your compiler has been
patched to support it.  Presence of respective compiler support is
autodetected when running avr-libc's configure script, and the
respective pieces are omitted if the compiler support is missing.

I don't have an idea whether the AT90USB162 and the ATmega16U2 are
binary (probably upwards) compatible; however, usually there are
application notes available describing that kind of migration process.
Please see whethere there's one around for this transition, and what
it has to tell about binary compatibilty.  Of course, if they are
binary compatible, you could just compile the code for an AT90USB162
(which is likely to have better support even in somewhat older
toolchain versions).