Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28108] bug with winavr20090313

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28108] bug with winavr20090313
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:24:22 +0100

Brn wrote:

        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 1.6.6
           Fixed Release: None

Details:

greetings,

I'm using winavr20090313 which has gcc 4.3.2 and i'm getting the bug that I
reported at:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=86733

In attachment there's a .rar that shows the error.

Give me a help on this one please.

Thanks ;)

I can first give you some tips on how to post questions or reports in this mailing list, avr freaks, bug trackers, etc. The avr-gcc community, both developers and users, are happy to help people - but we do expect people to follow certain rules so that we /can/ help you.

First off, use a real name and a real email address. This is a community of real people, giving up their real life time to help. We expect a certain amount of respect, and using a real name is a minimum. You don't get a second chance on this one (from me, anyway - I can't speak for any others). I won't give any more help or advice to someone who uses an "I'm a cool dude 12 year old" pretend swear word as an email address.

Second, we don't want attachments on this list (and the mailing list software helpfully strips them). What we like is /small/ snippets of code that show the problem. That way we can easily test out the code and quickly see if it is a problem with the compiler, or with the user's code. Trim your code down to a minimal example that can be easily compiled without needing any other files (standard headers like <stdint.h> are fine). We also need to know the compiler flags you are using - sometimes issues are dependant on the particular options used. Once we've got that, it is easy for others to test the code or to recognize known issues.

If you do ever need to send attachments, don't use rar format. Use zip for windows style, or tgz or tar.bj2 for *nix style.

As others in avrfreaks have said, it looks like your code is triggering a known bug in gcc, which appears to have been fixed in the gcc source but has not yet made it into a winavr release. If you remove yourself from this mailing list, join on again with a real email address, post a brief summary of the problem you are having (not just a link to avrfreaks) and a code snippet, then we will be able to tell you if there is a workaround or other fix that will help you.

mvh.,

David Brown