Re: [avr-libc-dev] Preferred non-windoze GUI debugger?

From: Blake Leverett
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Preferred non-windoze GUI debugger?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:00:10 -0600

On Monday 18 August 2008, Rich Teer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using the AVR toolchain on Solaris for about a year now,
> and I think it's great.  There's one drawback to WinAVR (which my
> Windoze-based colleagues use), and that is the debugger (or lack
> thereof).  My question is: given access to both the little STK 500v2
> and JTAG ICE Mk II programmers, what is the avrlibc debugger of
> choice?  One that can do everyhting that WinAVR can (without the
> need to use Windoze) would be ideal!
>
> TIA,

I use avarice on gentoo linux, and have tried several front ends.  ddd
dddidn't work so well for me, kdevelop worked pretty well, but had some funny
behavior and took some time to set up for each project.  kdbg was pretty good
also.  Now I use emacs for debugging, and have found that it has more
features than other debuggers, including AVR Studio.  However, it does lack
the peripheral register pane that Studio has, which would make it much more
useful.  You can make macros in the avr-gdb startup script to do things like
reset, or anything else you can think up.

Hopefully avarice will compile for solaris, or at least be easily portable.

Blake