RE: [avr-libc-dev] Preferred non-windoze GUI debugger?

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Preferred non-windoze GUI debugger?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:40:44 -0600

Hi Rich,

> I've been using the AVR toolchain on Solaris for about a year now,
> and I think it's great.

You are in a league all your own! I think you might the only one (ok, there
might be another) using the AVR toolchain on Solaris.

> There's one drawback to WinAVR (which my
> Windoze-based colleagues use), and that is the debugger (or lack
> thereof).  My question is: given access to both the little STK 500v2
> and JTAG ICE Mk II programmers, what is the avrlibc debugger of
> choice?  One that can do everyhting that WinAVR can (without the
> need to use Windoze) would be ideal!

Yes, most Windows users end up using Atmel's AVR Studio for debugging.

For non-Windows, most users end up using GDB (for the AVR target), with various
front-ends such as KDevelop, emacs, or perhaps Insight (Tcl/Tk front-end
glommed together with GDB). However, DWARF2 debug info is not well supported in
AVR GDB. It is recommended that you use the stabs debug info if you're going to
use GDB. AVR Studio uses DWARF2.

You will need one of two back-ends to GDB:
- Avarice provides an interface to the Atmel JTAG ICE (including mkII) for
debugging/emulation. The project can be found on SourceForge
- Simulavr provides an interface for simulation. However, it is older and not
very well maintained, but still provides some occasional usefulness.

BTW, All of these projects also come with WinAVR as well.

HTH,
Eric Weddington