[avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:05:42 -0700

Hi All,

Because of an avr-libc bug (#21410), a GCC bug (#31644), and IIRC, the
fact that the EEPROM API does not work on at least 2 AVR devices, I have
taken a stab at rewriting the EEPROM API. The interface has been kept
the same, but instead of library functions, it has been rewritten as
macros generating inlined assembly.

Yes, there is the potential that the macro version could take up more
code space with more calls to the macro. However, it is imperative that
this API work on *all* AVRs (that have EEPROM) and to have it work on
future AVR devices as well. I would rather have it work correctly first,
optimize later. Since we do not have a true multi-lib environment (per
device), implementing it as macros is the only way we have right now to
handle differences with multiple devices.

I have done compile tests, however, I have not tried this out on actual
hardware yet. I thought I would get this out to everyone a bit early for
feedback. Over the next day or two, I will be testing this on some real
hardware (probably an ATmega128).

Thanks,
Eric Weddington