RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] New eeprom.h
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:41:56 -0700

I was giving this some further thought, and static inline functions
wouldn't work for avr-libc. Avr-libc is a library of object modules.
Having static inline functions requires a compilation step. Two things:

- The inline portion wouldn't work because we now have object code, and
the linking stage (AFAIK) doesn't do inlining.
- One big reason to move away from compiling code to macros, is that we
do *not* have a true multi-lib (per device) environment with avr-libc.
We need to be able to have different variants of code for different
devices (not just per architecture). Right now, the only way for us to
do this *is* with macros in a header file.

Eric Weddington