[avr-libc-dev] <ot> porting a generic libc to an arbitrary uC

From: Steve Franks
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] <ot> porting a generic libc to an arbitrary uC
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:05:43 -0700

First, I really love avr-libc.  Occasionally, however, one finds a
compelling hardware for a certain task - Analog Device's ARM
processors have a really excellent analog section.

However,  when it comes to software, (at the risk of offending
someone), I have to say that the ARM people are a bunch of amateurs.

The ARM/lpc folks have a "newlib" implementation for their i/o, but no
one appears to have implemented anything with stdio, for which pretty
much all legacy uart parsing code is written (inc'l mine, obviously),
and the analog devices folks are all implementing their own puts()
functions in a header <yuck!>.

So, what can of worms am I opening up to implement the fdevopen() and
related backend code for an arbitrary stdio.h (specifically the one
from gnuarm?).  Do I need to make sweeping changes to the stdio
system, or does the avr-libc implementation use the 'standard'
bsd/sysV stdio.h code, except fdevopen?

'Naive Steve'