Re: [avr-libc-dev] OPTIMIZE_SPEED for avr5?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] OPTIMIZE_SPEED for avr5?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:02:21 +0100

As David Brown wrote:

> Size is the main priority when you are low on flash space -
> otherwise, it is irrelevant.  If your chosen AVR has 16k flash, then
> it does not matter if the program code takes 2k or 15.9k of that
> flash.  In particular, for smaller devices, program space will be at
> a premium, while for the larger devices, much of the flash will
> often be things like tables or other data that is of fixed size.

The issue here is, to the best of my knowledge, we don't have access
to the -O level when linking, so we cannot operate depending on the
user's wishes.  We thus have to decide for *one* implementation that
goes into the library.

Perhaps we could offer different sets of libraries containing these
functions in their speed-optimized version, in the same sense as we
are already offering different sets of printf and scanf libraries.
That way, the users can decide to use a different implementation if
they prefer (say, -lc is equivalent to -lc_size while there's a
different -lc_fast available).