Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc-1.2.4 released

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc-1.2.4 released
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:33:33 +0200

> The workaround/fix for the EEPROM access routines for ATmega169 has to
> wait a bit.  A couple of suggestions has been thrown into
> consideration (a complete inlined solution on one hand, and Bjoern
> Haase's suggested patch),
Hi,

concerning a completly inlined solution I have the follwing remark:

I have once tried it when I still thought it to be a good idea. I have dropped
it since it turned out to result in very bloated code. When comparing it with
the solution I have suggesed on this list, the completely inlined approach
resulted in about 500 byte more code for an application of 12k memory.
Anyway, in case that a completely inlined approach would be prefered by the
admins, I could provide my old tested c code fragments for the Atmega169 that
could easily be adapted to the avr-libc requirements.

IMO the main nice feature of the completely inlined version is, that this way
you don't have to use tricks within the build system and that you don't need
a true multi-lib approach. In my personal opinion, however, It is worth the
effort to tolerate some changes within the build system in order to generate
more compact code. The fact that eeprom access is a very important feature
for avr devices justify, IMO, to pay the price that some parts of avr-libc
build system turn out to become a kind of ugly non-standard hack.

Yours,

Björn