Re: [avr-libc-dev] Commit: PRG_RDB -> pgm_read_byte in stdio

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Commit: PRG_RDB -> pgm_read_byte in stdio
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:13:52 -0600

On 21 Jul 2004 at 22:59, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I just committed the attached patch to HEAD.  It's IMHO also a
> candidate for 1.0 even though PRG_RDB is still retained there.
>
> Would anyone see a problem using the ptr++ notation as the argument to
> a macro?  I know it used to be fatal as an argument to XtSetArg()...
> But it seems the macros here are written in a safe manner to not
> evaluate their argument more than once.

I hesitate......

If the whole LPM stuff were truly implemented in the compiler, I would be fine.
But since these have to be implemented as C macros that generate inline
assembly, this places a restriction on how these macros are implemented and
maintained in the future. But since they are already over and done with, this
seems to be somewhat moot. It think I would feel more comfortable if there were
some notes in pgmspace.h describing that this restriction needs to be observed
because of usage in stdio.

But I could just be overly paranoid too.

My 2 cents.