Re: [avr-libc-dev] todo for 1.0.4?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] todo for 1.0.4?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:56:35 +0200

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> I'm planning making the 1.0.4 release early next week.

Nice!

> Open patches that might go in:
>
>   2155  optimizing strtol()/strotoul()
>   2651        signal and UART reisters name consistency

I don't mind for the corrections (i. e. UART0 -> USART).

However, I'm a bit hesitant for a larger-scale renaming of the
interrupt vector names.  I'd rather like to search for a solution that
allows us to detect misspelled vector names.

One thing that would get my vote though is to drop the INTERRUPT()
macro completely (but not for 1.x).  It turns out that it is mostly
used innocently by people who believe they need to start their ISRs
that way but who didn't read and/or understand the documentation.

I don't vote for changing the behaviour of INTERRUPT to that of SIGNAL
because I think that's potentially dangerous (old code would still
compile but behave differently, in a way that is not obvious
immediately).  Rather, drop INTERRUPT completely, and rename it to
e. g. SIG_INTERRUPTIBLE().  It's a long name (I know), but it's rarely
to be used anyway, and it makes it a lot clearer what it's actually
meant for.

Perhaps in avr-libc 3.x, we can re-use INTERRUPT the way people would
expect it works. ;-)

> Anything else?

I just merged the fix for #8119 (and updated NEWS).

A fix for bug #6352 would be nice.

I think I've got a fix for #2924 sitting in my tree (for too long).
However, I can't remember the details of that fix anymore :), and the
originator never responded to my inquiry either.  So I'm not sure
whether my local change is actually the fix for #2924, or rather for
something else...  I though Rainer would be going to handle that
issue, but I haven't heard anything from him for a while.