Re: [avr-libc-dev] [Bug #3485] Using float arithmetic without linking wi

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [Bug #3485] Using float arithmetic without linking with -lm result in incorrect code
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 10:44:20 -0600

On 7 May 2003 at 17:57, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As address@hidden wrote:

> > incorrect code
>
> I wonder whether we should drop libm.a altogether, i. e., make it a
> stub library for historical reasons, so people using -lm won't fall
> over, but put all modules into libc.a.  There are already other
> oddities, like strtod() which is documented in <stdlib.h> also living
> in libm.a, because of the historical origin of the code implementing
> it.

"It's deja vu, all over again" - Yogi Berra

1. Argument For: In the sample makefile I ship with WinAVR, I always
put -lm in the linker flags. It doesn't hurt anything if it's not
needed and it helps with Windows users who don't know the "Unix way"
and forget to include the flag.

2. Argument Against: Good ol' Unix tradition.

Which I would seriously look at how useful this tradition really is.
In the end, it'll be up to the *nix people here if they are willing
to break with history. But I'm OK either way.