Re: [avr-libc-dev] inttypes.h cleanup for -mint8

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] inttypes.h cleanup for -mint8
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:44:41 -0700

On 11 Nov 2002 at 22:40, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As Theodore A. Roth wrote:
>
> > :) Of course, <inttypes.h> needs my suggested fix applied first.
> > Any :) comments about that one?
> >
> > I think this should be done, but I'm not too excited about your
> > patch
> > (http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/avr-libc-dev/2002-November/000492.htm
> > l) dropping uint32_t.
>
> Well, then you need to complain about avr-gcc. ;-)  It's very simple:
> the compiler simply doesn't provide and 32-bit integer type in -mint8
> mode.  You can easily verify this by using avr-gcc -E -dD.

What?! I had no idea it dropped 32-bit integers. I'm not exactly
thrilled with that.

I just wish that there was a switch that causes gcc to not
automatically promote to int when an expression's arguments are both
unsigned char.

Oh well. I retract what I said about having -mint8 compatibility as a
goal.