Re: [avr-libc-dev] rand(3) in avr-libc

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] rand(3) in avr-libc
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

:) As E. Weddington wrote:
:) > 2. add a (small?) crypto
:) > package to take advantage of the new PRNG.
:)
:) Hmm, that's probably nothing i could do.  There's some crypto code one
:) could get, but that's all written with 32-bit integers (or more) in
:) mind, and probably way too huge to port to an AVR (like openssl or
:) so).

I'm not too keen on supplying crypto code. Unless someone with some real
expertise is willing to maintain some thing like this, I don't see a very
high likelyhood of us shipping crypto code that is correct. Look at the
OpenSSH and all the problems they've had lately and those guys definitely
know what they are doing.

Everything I've read about crypto says to avoid rolling your own. ;-)

Ted Roth