avr-gcc-list

Re: static class member as interrupt handler works, but not if class is

From: Trampas Stern
Subject: Re: static class member as interrupt handler works, but not if class is templated
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 19:33:21 -0400

In C++ for interrupt vectors in drivers I set up an array of pointers to function all the peripheral driver code  like this for timer counters.

static voidCallback_t _isr_funcs[TC_INST_NUM]={NULL};

Then in each handler if the pointer is not null I call it.  This is a lot of work and overhead but it works.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
On 10/04/2021 22:11, Klaus via Gcc-help wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am 10.04.21 um 17:26 schrieb Jonathan Wakely:
>

>>     Dummy<1> d1;
>>

>> This doesn't cause the instantiation of the member function.
>>
>> Have you tried an explicit instantiation?
>>
>> template class Dummy<1>;
>
> Did not change anything.
>
> If I use my original code, I get the instantiation of the function:
>
> 0000007e <Dummy<1>::Handler()>:
>   7e:    18 95           reti
>
> But it is simply not named as "__vector_10" which is the problem. The
> member function is instantiated but still with wrong name even with my
> or your code.
>
> Klaus

To my knowledge, there isn't a better way than to make specific
dedicated stand-alone functions:

static void Handler_1() __asm__("__vector_10")
__attribute__((__signal__, __used__, __externally_visibile__))
{
        Dummy<1>::Handler();
}

For device drivers like that, you have a specific number of
instantiations that match the number of peripherals on the particular
microcontroller.  And they each have different vectors.  There really
isn't any other better way, to my knowledge.  (You can use a bit of
pre-processing macros and conditional compilation to automate it a bit,
generating as many of these functions as there are UARTs or whatever
defined in the device header files for the microcontroller.)