automake

Re: AC_ARG_ENABLE and checking for unrecognized switches

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_ARG_ENABLE and checking for unrecognized switches
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:24:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019, Kip Warner wrote:

https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.68/html_node/Option-Checking.html

My reading is that there *is* checking by default, but it is turned
off if you have a subdir configure, but then can be turned back on
again by the user.

Good eye, Tom. The only problem here is my configure.ac doesn't use a
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS because there are no child configure.ac scripts to
run, so by default that checking should have been enabled. It's
possible I could be doing something wrong though.

A project can be made subordinate to another project without the author of the subordinate project being aware of it. This is a very useful capability. This capability is used by projects such as GCC.

The Autotools philosophy is to provide as much freedom as possible to the end user while working in a consistent way. This would include the case where a project is created which builds several other projects.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt