automake

Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [CRAZY PROPOSAL] Automake should support only GNU make
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:39:21 +0100

On Thursday 13 January 2011, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:36 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  - I think that keeping configuration and build steps separated is
> >   a very good idea.
>
> Do you mean this is a good idea in the context of todays systems
> - or -
> Do you mean this is good idea in general and could be a design
> criteria for future build environments?

The second one.  But TBH I don't have any objective justification
for this, only "gut feelings".  So I should better have said:

 ``I truly dislike the idea of not keeping configuration and build
   steps separated.''

Maybe I'd just like a system that *allows* me to keep configuration
and build steps clerarly distinct if I want to.  Yes, that would
be enough for me I guess.

> I think I agree to the first (mostly because I assume if the
> autotools developers and experts separate those steps, they do it
> for a good reason), but I don't understand my this could be a
> requirement in future systems.
>
> Wouldn't it be great to type "make" which automatically knows by
> depedencies that some configuration rules have to be executed
> (i.e. to determine facts about the environment if they are not
> available in form of small .h files or alike)?

Yes, but then, this could be implemented by having the build system
call the configuration system properly, no?  More or less like is
done by automake-generated rebuild rules, just "on steroid" I guess.

> If, for example, Makefiles would have rules to check for the
> libraries as soon as needed etc, wouldn't this be good?
> Tests that are not needed for the configuration to be built
> would not even be executed (saving time).

What do you mean exactly by this?  I might appear dumb, but
I'm having some difficulties in following you here.

> What important points did I miss in my consideration?
>
> oki,
>
> Steffen

Regards,
  Stefano