automake

Re: Turning Off Compiler Optimization in Subdir

From: Geoffrey Hutchison
Subject: Re: Turning Off Compiler Optimization in Subdir
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:21:21 -0400

On Apr 3, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Simon Richter wrote:

Erm, does it affect all C++ compilers, or just specific ones?

The latter, although it will probably take some time to figure out an appropriate test case, since it also seems to involve linking to certain versions of libxml2.

I suppose it is the latter only, so I'd suggest hacking a small test case that reproduces this problem, and using that from the configure script to find out whether the compiler that is being used is also affected, and in this case, strip the -O flag.

I'd prefer not to do this -- right now, an affected platform is Fedora Core 4 and possibly FC 5 as well. (It doesn't affect me, which is why it's hard for me to debug.) So many users are impacted, but I only need to turn off optimization on some files, not the entire library.

This is why I'd prefer to have some solution which turns off optimization (probably based on a configure test) but only on that one specific subdir. The rest of the library is optimized for speed, but a few minor functions are affected.

Thanks,
-Geoff