automake

RE: nobase_ room for improvement

From: Robert Collins
Subject: RE: nobase_ room for improvement
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:34:29 +1000

Yeah. I fiddled around with various ideas before posting. A different
one was

nobase_include_HEADERS = ...
include_HEADERS_strip = foo/bar/delta
where foo/bar/delta is removed from the path.

> I've been thinking of adding a _NAME macro that would let you
> do this.  For instance:
>
>     bin_PROGRAMS = my-install
>
>     my_install_SOURCES = ...
>     my_install_NAME = install
>
> In the build tree we would build `my-install', but at install
> time we would run the _NAME through the program transform and
> then install the program under the resulting name.

As folk do that anyway with --program-transform-name=, a more granular
mechanism should be fairly straightforward. I like it.

 > We would do this for programs.  It would be nice to do it for
> libraries (it has come up more than once) but it means
> problems if programs are linked against them in the build
> tree.  Maybe we could implement it by building the library
> under the real name and having the _NAME name be just a
> stamp-like file.
>
> Any comments on this?

Sounds reasonable. What about this:

For libraries, could you tell automake to use a different name for
whatever builtin is conflicting? i.e. (using install as an example (say
I am building a module called install)).

AM_builtin_install = realinstall

and from there on in, automake uses realinstall instead of install in
all it's targets - including the install (now realinstall) target.

Rob