automake

Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 20:12:14 -0800

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> In fact, I think all the tools should provide some --clean.  For
> instance, the hair we have to clean the Texinfo related files have
> nothing to do in Automake.  It should be provided by texi2dvi and the
> like.

Respectively, I think you're significantly over-solving this problem.
Just document somewhere what files can possibly be created and let the
package author do what they wish with them, write a make distclean rule or
whatever.  If Automake wants to include that stuff, they can read the
Autoconf documentation to see what to remove.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>