automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] subdirs: merge $(RECURSIVE_CLEAN_TARGETS) i

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] subdirs: merge $(RECURSIVE_CLEAN_TARGETS) into $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:34:46 +0200

Le 4 sept. 2012 à 16:20, Bob Friesenhahn a écrit :

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

>>> Doesn't sort cost CPU and time?
>>>
>> In this case, being the list statically hard-coded in the *.mk fragment,
>> it would just require some seconds of "editing time" on the part of the
>> developer :-)
>
> There may in fact be a good reason why the developer expresses to compile in
> a certain order.  If lists are sorted, then the developer loses control.
>
> If the build tool was to re-order the build as a form of optimization, then
> that would be a benefit.

Very much agreed, but the starting point is really a literal list that is
actually a literal set.  And in this case, I recommend sorting, to both
highlight that order does not matter, and to ensure some more canonical form.
More intelligent orders, such as the one promoted by Stefano for instance, are,
imho, more elitists and require from the contributors to be more involved.
That's why I prefer alphabetical order here.

There is no sorting at all at runtime in the case at hand, nor any form of
induced runtime order of operations.