automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] subdirs: merge $(RECURSIVE_CLEAN_TARGETS) i

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] subdirs: merge $(RECURSIVE_CLEAN_TARGETS) into $(RECURSIVE_TARGETS)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 15:35:51 +0200

On 08/31/2012 09:08 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Akim Demaille wrote:
>>> +  distclean-recursive \
>>> +  maintainer-clean-recursive
>>
>> When the order does not matter, you should sort alphabetically IMHO.
>
> Doesn't sort cost CPU and time?

In this case, being the list statically hard-coded in the *.mk fragment,
it would just require some seconds of "editing time" on the part of the
developer :-)

But actually I prefer to keep the list ordered in "logical" order: first
the three most common targets in the order they are usually executed
('all', 'check' and 'install'), then the cleaning targets in increasing
order of "thoroughness" ('mostlyclean', 'clean', 'distclean' and
'maintainer-clean').

> Why sort if you don't have to?
>
> Bob

Regards,