auctex

Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 15:10:03 +0900

Hi Pete,

>> What happens when you insert
>> (call-process TeX-shell nil t nil
>> TeX-shell-command-option "tex.exe --version")
>> in *scratch* buffer in wsl emacs and type C-x C-e just after the closing
>> ")"?

> After I load auctex (by loading my test2.tex in emacs) and type the
> above lines in *scratch*, this is how the buffer looks like:

> (call-process TeX-shell nil t nil
> TeX-shell-command-option "tex.exe --version")TeX 3.141592653 (TeX Live 2022)
> kpathsea version 6.3.4
> Copyright 2022 D.E. Knuth.
> There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is
> covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
> the Lesser GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file
> named COPYING and the TeX source.
> Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.

> Does not look ignorant of my Windows Tex Live installation, in
> principle.

Thanks, now it's clear that synchronous process invocation through works
well for TeX Live binary.

> But should there still be no easy remedy in sight, I suggest I don't
> steal any more of your precious time and just move Tex Live inside the
> walls of wsl.

I see. If you want to tackle this issue again some day, I recommend to
ask on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org . The points are, on wsl,
1. In emacs, synchronous invocation of windows binary through bash works
   well.
2. In emacs, asynchronous invocation of linux binary through bash works
   well.
3. On bash console (not in emacs), asynchronous invocation of windows
   binary through (another) bash works well.
4. However, asynchronous invocation of windows binary through bash in
   emacs doesn't work.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine