Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 00:35:47 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, address@hidden wrote:

If you wanna have the checks never disabled why do you gard them or use
macros which doesn't work in default release mode?

Defining NDEBUG is a very Windows things. Most Unix applications that I know of are not compiled with NDEBUG enabled. Automake defaults to "-O2 -g" if no flags are specified. Also, most Unix makefiles do not have a concept of "release mode". Generally your control the different "modes" my simply passing different flags to the compiler when comping of linking.

Sorry that last part should be "compiling or linking" (really should proof read better before sending). By this I mean you will compile with CXX='-g' for debug mode and CXX='-O2' for release mode.

If it comes down to it I can use my own version of assert, but I really rather not. What I might do is detect when NDEBUG is used, spit out a nasty warning, and add "w/ DEBUG" to the version string.