Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 05:06:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Peter Kümmel wrote:

Kevin Atkinson wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Peter Kümmel wrote:

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

If so stop. Most asserts perform important safety checks and disabling them could lead to data corruption and other nasty things. Also, they should have a negligible effect on performance.

I'm not sure if this is correct, STL checks could be expensive even when
optimizing the code.

Can you please show me proof of this.

It is just a impression because I've never heard about such a strategy to
ensure correctness. I only know, in debug mode msvc-stl-code is several
times slower than in release mode, due to disabling optimizations and
executing additional checks.
But a proof would only be a aspell benchmark which I don't have.

Debug mode should be the same thing as compiling without defining NDEBUG.