Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?

From: Peter Kümmel
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:36:04 +0200

Kevin Atkinson wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Peter Kümmel wrote:

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

If so stop. Most asserts perform important safety checks and disabling them could lead to data corruption and other nasty things. Also, they should have a negligible effect on performance.

I'm not sure if this is correct, STL checks could be expensive even when
optimizing the code.

Can you please show me proof of this.

It is just a impression because I've never heard about such a strategy to
ensure correctness. I only know, in debug mode msvc-stl-code is several
times slower than in release mode, due to disabling optimizations and
executing additional checks.
But a proof would only be a aspell benchmark which I don't have.

And using _DEBUG to ensure correct code in release mode is not the common
way to use the safety checks.

Crashing is never the correct thing to do, but if there is a bug it may prevent more serious problems down the road.

Yes, I also think a crash is better than to silently ignore it.