Re: [aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:23:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Antonio Ospite wrote:

But a thing I am still missing is proper handling of TeX
representation for double quotation marks, let me be more precise.
aspell ends up checking "vrigolette'" with a trailing apostrophe,
which is wrong. I suppose that's happen because Italian dictionary
allows words to end with an apostrophe.

What can I/you do to fix this behaviour?
Should it be fixed at filter level, or at dictionary level?

Dictionary, see
http://aspell.net/0.61/man-html/Words-With-Symbols-in-Them.html:
 The case where the symbol can appear at the beginning or end of the word
 is more difficult to deal with. The symbol may or may not actually be
 part of the word. Aspell currently handles this case by first trying to
 spell check the word with the symbol and if that fails, try it without.
 The problem is, if the word is misspelled, should Aspell assume the
 symbol belongs with the word or not? Currently Aspell assumes it does,
 which is not always the correct thing to do.

On second through this can also be fixed on the filter level by translating '' to " or just simply skipping over it (ie translate to whitespace).