Re: [aspell-devel] What needs to be done for next release?

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] What needs to be done for next release?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:09:56 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Gary Setter wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> What needs to be done for the next release of Aspell?

I take it you mean 0.61?  I have posted a TODO on this list a while ago

> What role
> does Win32 support play in it?

I do not have any specific Win32 plans.  If it looks like VC6 compliance is
close than I may delay the release a bit.  Other than that I myself do not
plan to put any effort into it.

> I'm wondering if anyone on this list has the free VC Toolkit
> 2003. I downloaded it but it requires Window2000, and my humble
> system only has Windows98. The reason I bring it up is that many
> of the problems I had with VC6 may not be problems with the newer
> compiler. If so, I would quietly end my efforts to make  aspell
> more compatible with VC6.
>
> The one issue that I can't imagine going away is how to export
> functions that are part of the Aspell libraries API. Would it be
> a good thing to submit a patch that marks the API functions for
> export?

Well a lot of C API code is generated so it will be necessary to modify
the mk-src script.  I will not accept a patch that only modifies the
generated files.  Perhaps it will be best to describe the changes needed
and let me modify the script and send you a patch to try.

But the Aspell utility currently uses a good deal of the internal API.  If
absolutely necessary I will accept code that marks the necessary
functions/methods to export.  However,
  1) I hope to make the external (ie C) API powerful enough that the
     Aspell utility does not have to use any of the API.
  2) I would rather find another way.  For example are there any flags
     you can pass in to export ALL symbols in a given namespace or maybe
     ones that match a regular expressions?

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org