Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:19:28 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Atkinson" <address@hidden>
To: "Gary Setter" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 2:49 AM
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config
keyword

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Gary Setter wrote:
>
> > I added aspell spell check to a simple program of mine. That
is
> > getting me thinking about the config keyword that are the
base
> > for data-dir and dict-dir. Most Windows programs put their
data
> > in the "Program Files" folder. Personal data goes under "My
> > Documents". "Program files" or "My Documents" can be renamed
or
> > moved around. Aspell doesn't have anything that I can use to
> > setup a master config file that will fine those folders.
There
> > are functions that I can call to find those directories, but
> > need a hook so that I can call them.
> >
> > I submitted a patch to add an install-dir keyword, the
default
> > value is to call a function to find where the executable is.
> > hope that it is accepted.
>
> I no not think it is necessary to introduce another config
value.  The
> prefix value will do, as that is what it was really intended
for.  Also
> it is better to find the location of the DLL in case Aspell is
used as a
> library and the executable is not involved.  Your changes
should only take
> effect if ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE is enabled.

<snip>
I don't understand. The prefix config value is a constant that is
established at the time you build the dll. What if this is made
into an rpm? The binary could go anywhere. Don't you need
something like !lang where the default value is looked up a the
time the config value is retrieved?

Good points conserning  finding the dll and
ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE
Gary