Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:49:14 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Gary Setter wrote:

> I added aspell spell check to a simple program of mine. That is
> getting me thinking about the config keyword that are the base
> for data-dir and dict-dir. Most Windows programs put their data
> in the "Program Files" folder. Personal data goes under "My
> Documents". "Program files" or "My Documents" can be renamed or
> moved around. Aspell doesn't have anything that I can use to
> setup a master config file that will fine those folders. There
> are functions that I can call to find those directories, but I
> need a hook so that I can call them.
>
> I submitted a patch to add an install-dir keyword, the default
> value is to call a function to find where the executable is. I
> hope that it is accepted.

I no not think it is necessary to introduce another config value.  The
prefix value will do, as that is what it was really intended for.  Also
it is better to find the location of the DLL in case Aspell is used as a
library and the executable is not involved.  Your changes should only take
effect if ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE is enabled.

> Now I'm thinking about a personal dir. It looks like the Unix
> version defaults to $HOME or cwd. And the Windows version sets up
> a default prefix which is "aspell-win32" which is a relative
> path, relative to the cwd. I'd like something closer to $HOME.
> There is a shell lib function to retrieve that folder name, but I
> would have to modify the default value of home-dir to do it
> properly.

It is acceptable to change the default value of home-dir as long as it
is wrapped in a indef.  Modify the value of HOME_DIR.

Also if ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE is enabled the default location is
<prefix>.

> What do people think? Is the value of getting a better default
> home-dir worth the disruption of changing the default behavior
> from one version of aspell to the next?

Go ahead and submit your changes.  If I find the changes to drastic I can
delay it until Aspell 0.61.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org