[aspell-devel] Makefile for Aspell / MinGW-gcc3.2

From: Thorsten Maerz
Subject: [aspell-devel] Makefile for Aspell / MinGW-gcc3.2
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:18:39 +0200

Hi all,

I wrote a plain makefile to work around the libtool issues when compiling
Aspell using MinGW GCC, and it seems to create working executables
(i.e. "aspell check foo.txt" works perfectly).

In case of interest, the makefile is contained in aspell-mingw.diff (take
a look at the Readme.txt for further instructions). You can get it from
  http://ezytools.sourceforge.net/aspell/

Problem 1: WIN32_RELOCATABLE
I didnt include the /bin dir detection patch (posted from Ruurd Reimtsa),
as it seemed to work only when calling "aspell config", but failed when
using "aspell check foo.txt". In that case, config.cpp/Config::Config()
is called at least twice (found out by inserting a printf), and the
retrieve_bool() function bails out the second time. It turned out, that
calling have("set-prefix") returns "false" then.
As I am *very* new to aspell (regarding usage and sourcecode), I havent
been able to find out more on this. Does anyone have an idea to get this
working as expected?

Problem 2: Calling new_aspell_speller()
I am trying to link aspell to a Gtk-1.3 based application (Sylpheed-Claws).
I can compile it using MSVC as well as with MinGW, but both versions
show the same strange behaviour: The list of available dictionaries can
successfully be received, but the call to new_aspell_speller() crashes.
While the MSVC version just dies instead of falling back to the debugger
(goodbye backtrace...), the gcc compiled version falls back to gdb and
shows that it stopped at msvcrt_a_iname().
I am currently unsure if this is caused by an incorrect compilation of
Aspell (that's why I said "seems to work" some lines above) or by the
calling application (e.g. a missing or wrong passed parameter).
Has anyone encountered (solved?) similar problems?

Best regards,
--
Thorsten Maerz          <address@hidden>
Sylpheed-claws/Win32:   http://claws-w32.sf.net