arx-users

[Arx-users] Wedged another archive

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] Wedged another archive
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:39:43 -0500

I'm really strugging with conflict resolution. The stuff you (Walter)
sent earlier about conflict results was great, but not yet enough for
this pathetic newbie.

Once again, I made some local changes to my arx branch (arx.kevins) that
conflicted with changes you made. When I merged in your changes
(--in-place), I got a conflict.

I tried to install meld, but the gentoo ebuild is currently broken so it
won't compile. I tried xxdiff, but couldn't see how to pass it a .rej
file as the third input. I tried applying the .rej file using 'patch',
but it refuses to apply to either browse.cpp or browse.cpp.orig.

It seems that it's really easy for me to keep my changes and discard
yours (by copying the .orig file). That's rarely what I would want to
do. I haven't yet found any way (easy or hard) to discard my changes and
accept yours.

At this point, my working copy is broken. It's frustrating that it's so
easy to end up with a working copy that's hard to repair. If the file
just ended up with cvs-like conflict markers, it would be easier (I know
you said that's in your roadmap).

In this case, what I really want to do is undo my own committed patch
(because it has been obsoleted by your changes), and then be able to
check in your code. So I tried:

  arx undo
  rm -R  ,,undo-0/
  arx delete-revision arx.kevins,2

I fiddled a bit with fork, but ended up trying this:

address@hidden work $ arx get address@hidden/arx.kevins arx2
CORRUPTED_ARCHIVE: There is no checksum file for this revision in the
archive
        address@hidden/arx.kevins,2
address@hidden work $ arx get address@hidden/arx.kevins,1 arx2
No such revision in the archive
        address@hidden/arx.kevins,2

Sigh. Looks like I should just delete this branch and re-get wlandry,
like I did last time.

Kevin