apps-gnustep

Re: A little help for GWorkspace

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: A little help for GWorkspace
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:55:32 +0100

Enrico Sersale <address@hidden> wrote (Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:12:49 +0200 (EET)):
> 2)
> The worst GWorkspace's bug is that if you copy, move, delete,
> somethings a few times, it dies.
>
> GWorkspace, to perform these operations asynchronously, uses a tool,
> "backgrounder". The communication GWorkspace and the tool happens through
> two NSPipe.
>
> Consider that this communication is complex; it involves advices to
> bring-up alert panels, error messages, actions to take when the pause,
> resume and stop buttons are pressed, a string with the currently
> processded path to let GWorkspace update the Processes Panel, etc...

Wouldn't it be easier to use a special thread for this, instead of a tool of
its own?

> Till now, I've let this problem almost not solved.
>
> But now, if the Window Maker focusing problems will be fixed, GWorkspace
> become a really usable application (actually I'm the only user, I think
> :-) ), and the backgrounder bugs must be fixed.

No, wrong guess..;-) To proof that, I havea added a new screenshot of
www.projectcenter.ch which also shows GWorkspace - more to come!

> Can somebody take a look to the code and give me a little help?
> The code is in FileOperation.m and in backgrounder/backgounder.m.

Do you have backtraces or logs from such crashes?

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/